Sunday, September 7, 2008

Week 2

My name is Lisa Graves and this is my final semester at ASU. Blogging is not something that I have done before, so please bear with me. My BIS is in organizational studies which integrates communications, management, religion, sociology, political science and diversity issues. This degree is interdisciplinary because it integrates so many different disciplines instead of only two. I also am completing a minor in religious studies. I chose the organizational studies program after taking courses in communications and anthropology and realizing that I wanted to find a practical way to integrate them into the business world. I have a natural interest in diverse cultures and this degree gives me the flexibility to pursue those interests as they relate to organizations of all types. I chose the minor in religious studies because I have been interested in different religions since I was a teenager and because of its direct relationship to cultural studies.

My applied study site is being completed with the Arizona Institute for Peace Education and Research, also known as AIPER, which is located in Tempe. This organization is a non-profit group working for peace and social justice through relationships with other similar organizations. I was attracted to this opportunity because of my interest in cultural and social relations and because I believe that culturally diverse groups have great potential to work together to overcome social issues through education and advocacy. During this semester, I will be assisting in organizing educational and outreach programs, fundraising, membership building, board activities, website design and management duties. I hope to learn more about social justice issues and about the technical aspects required in the operation of an active organization. AIPER often collaborates with other similar groups, so I am looking forward to seeing how different people belonging to different groups can work cooperatively to reach a common goal. I believe that my opportunity to see this process first-hand may be the most useful and inspirational thing that I can learn this semester. I hope to learn skills that I can take with me to other organizations to promote cultural diversity. AIPER relates to this 401 section because of its focus on education, its non-profit status and an occasional orientation towards youth, although this is not the groups primary audience.

Since starting with this group, I have already been involved in a board meeting, a program involving the joint effort of anther peace organization, a community meeting, concept development and program planning for a film series and with updating mailing lists. I have been able to utilize my study of small group communication, religious studies, sociology of religion and work and management dynamics during these tasks so far. During this next week, I will be finalizing advertisement documents for an upcoming program and getting those advertisements out to various locations and organizations. I’m sure that there will be other duties as well. I think that this will be an insightful and interesting group to work with that will be able to teach me how to apply my knowledge to the real world.

I will graduate in December 2008 and I have no immediate plans to change my current career, which is medical billing and collections. I have worked in this aspect of the medical field for seventeen years and I enjoy what I do for a living. I am unsure if I will pursue employment with an organization like AIPER, but I am involved in other non-profit groups and I think that my degree can be applied to those interests as well as to any job that I may hold in the future. I am toying with taking a math class and some chemistry classes in the next year to attempt getting into medical school. It’s a big commitment, and considering that I have two children in junior high and high school, I will have to give it more thought. If I do pursue medical school, I hope to aid people of different cultural backgrounds in accessing the medical care that they need, but may feel that they are incapable of obtaining due to their culture.

I am looking forward to this adventure this semester. I am sure that it will be something to remember! More next week...

(If you are interested in more information about AIPER, check out their web site. http://www.aiper.org/)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
AIPER looks like a very interesting and worthwhile organization. It sounds like your interests are very diverse with an focus on culture. My interest is also on cultures and people. Its hard to study culture from a single disciplinary perspective so, I am glad that you found Organizational Studies. I think that you would have liked a class that I took in graduate school called "Cross-cultural health care."

Dyanna Duncan said...

Hi Lisa,
My name is Dyanna Duncan. I found your blog to be very interesting. It sounds like AIPER is a great organization. I think any means towards peace is great! The sooner the troops get home the better. This war has been going on for far too long. Good luck in your endeavors at your site. I'm sure you will learn a lot.